Back to Home Page

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Wild Horses, the Rolling Stones, standing here and remembering then

When I was a teenager and college student it was always the Rolling Stones for me, not the Beatles. It was the rhythm and the raw sound contrasted to the Beatles' modulated (in my mind) style and lyrics.

It stayed that way for many years until medium lately ago the beauty and soft wisdom of the Beatles began appealing to me. Actually, I even began liking Elton John's songs. I can't explain how those things go; I just know that it happens to me.

Tonight I think I had a turn-back moment, though. Tonight I clicked onto YouTube and heard Susan Boyle singing "Wild Horses" and thought it lovely — which is to say, mostly I thought..... but then I clicked onto the Rolling Stones singing that same song, and felt a great, nostalgic, somehow regretful, maybe sentimental emotion wash over me. Mick Jagger does not have the range or control of Susan Boyle, but he delivers. He does it so well, so personal, so felt, so real.

The Rolling Stones captured the past for me tonight. Here it is for you. I hope you enjoy it. No, actually I hope it rises something up in you and makes you feel something powerful.




Wild Horses lyrics


Childhood living is easy to do
The things you wanted, I bought them for you
Graceless lady, you know how I am
You know I can't let you slide through my hands

Wild horses couldn't drag me away
Wild, wild horses, couldn't drag me away

I watched you suffer a dull aching pain
Now you decided to show me the same
No sweeping exits or offstage lines
Could make me feel bitter or treat you unkind

Wild horses couldn't drag me away
Wild, wild horses, couldn't drag me away

I know I've dreamed you, a sin and a lie
I got my freedom but I don't have much time
Faith has been broken, tears must be cried
Let's do some living, after love dies

Wild horses couldn't drag me away
Wild, wild horses, we'll ride them some day
Wild horses couldn't drag me away
Wild, wild horses, we'll ride them some day


Mick

No comments:

Post a Comment